Friday, June 26, 2009

Dew Tour...


So, yesterday myself and my friends Gordon & Marfa went down to the Dew Tour BMX qualifiers in DWNTWN Chicago just south of the Buckingham Fountain and the Taste of Chicago. We were invited by our friend Kevin Porter who was riding during the qualifiers, unfortunately he did not place, there were like 50+ riders that had to get cut to 13. So many great riders that didn't make the cut, that doesn't mean that the shit they pulled wasn't any less amazing. Speaking of cutting we found a place to sneak in without badges.

As we make our way to the Athlete Entrance we see another biker guy we know, known to us only as Ryan, walking down the stairs of the bleachers we wave and he walks toward a hole in the fence where he too apparently had snuck in and motioned that the coast was clear. I guess we could have waited, my friend Jim was coming in like 15 minutes with some free passes he had acquired that morning. Now, when Jim gets there and hands us the passes we notice that the date on the pass is for Friday not Thursday, now Jim get a little mad because he can't come Friday because he's going to see KISS play up in Milwaukee, WI for $15 at some festival, maybe Summerfest.
Summer is definitely here, the Sun was out in full effect, blazing with it's shades on proper with a shit eating grin while "the dreaded storm" everyone was talking about never showed up due to The Sun flexing those beefy biceps, even after the the storm gleeked on us for three minutes it was back to dry in ten. Just enough to make the course slippery enough to not ride, but not too much too run for cover. Well, some other babies ran, but we stood there. It felt KNDA good to get a few cold drops on you during a good swelter.

I have never been to a BMX contest nor have I ever seen this calibre of riding in person. Sure, there are some riders that come to the park and do some crazy ish, but not like this. You can prolly see in the video above just exactly what I'm talking about. In person things just seem a bit more real than sitting in the AC watching the live stream.

Even though I am not a biker I can still acknowledge and respect all that goes into being that kind of athlete in the non traditional sense, KNDA like me going to a baseball game and respecting a 98 MPH sphere being shot at your face. I've always been into the fringe sports, rather than the "trad" sports for jocks, ever since I was a little Lonely iSapien Hudude Boy. Motocross, BMX track, BMX freestyle, Formula One, Truck/Tractor Pulls, Mud Boggin', you name it. If it had to do with flannel & blue jeans I was a fan.

As of the end of this post I am currently listening to "Masterplan" by Beck Session Group from the album "The Singles" dunno what year. I can't find much info on this group except that I had found them on some blog that said "I had to hear this band", so I did. Maybe you can to if you find it out there in the webernet fun zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Views Since 2nd Quarter 2009

Δ▼Δ

☻ mammy ☺ mommy