Friday, May 22, 2009

Gumball - Super Tasty...



So, after doing the last post and the current song at the time being Accelerator Hell, it got me to thinking about this song by the band Gumball, the song is called Accelerator from the album Super Tasty released in 1993.
These guys opened up for Dinosaur jr. at the Riviera in Chicago, IL in 1993. Don Fleming was in this group, he has worked with J. Mascis from Dinosaur jr. on several projects.

If my Memory serves me right... Buzzov-en also opened that night as the first band. They were sooooo heavy, sooooo stoner, soooo metal. The guitarist was right in front of me (this was back before they had those huge barricades in front of the stage) as I was bellied up to the stage. I went to the show by myself & had the best time. I met a girl, she also came to the show by herself, she had never crowd surfed so she asked me to lift her up, I did and she was held up for about a minute until I caught her on the way down. Never got her number, forgot her name the next day.

The Show was April 10th, 1993. Buzzov-en was an experience, I was in awe of how low there instruments were, both in tuning & height from the floor. Gumball was so energetic & fun, I danced and smiled the who time with the lonely girl I had just met. Then Dinosuar Jr. starts their set, OMG the setlist was this: Quest, Budge, Little Fury Things, Raisans, Out There, Get Me, Start Choppin', Drawerings, The Wagon, Thumb, No Bones & Kracked.
Now... Tell me that isn't a jaw dropping show. So sweaty, so fun, so happy.

After the show, me and that girl stood in front of the Riviera, I ran into some old Rockford, IL skate buddies from Rotation Station (skatepark), Rob Lowden, Joe Black & Eric Flemming. After mingling for about 20 minutes I parted ways with the girl & the skate buddies and just drove home.
I may have gone to buy some music at Reckless Records, but I did that so often so who knows.

As of the end of this post I am currently listening to "Cave In" by Straitjacket Fits from the album "Down In Splendour" 1990 on Flying Nun records ...(Bonus)...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Views Since 2nd Quarter 2009

Δ▼Δ

☻ mammy ☺ mommy