Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vans Triple Crown 1999...

So, back in 1999 Vans Shoes held the Triple Crown of Skateboarding in DWNTWN Milwaukee, WI. on June 4th-6th.
On June 2nd the Milwaukee Brewers asked Steve Caballero to throw out the first pitch.

Randy, the former owner of WARP skatepark, had asked if I wanted to go because he was gunna buy tickets for everybody so we all sat together. I think he got asked by the owner of Vans because we were all sitting in the saem section.
When I say "we" I mean, Jason Ellis & Collin McKay were sitting right in front of us. When I say "us" I mean, Randy, Ray (from Skate Shack & RQ), these dudes Ray & Kevin from Scrap skatepark, Adam Tobler, oh and we picked Dave Duncan up along the way, we all drove up there together in Randy's Van.
Adam sat in between Jason & Colin during the game.
Apparently it was Colin's first baseball game ever, and I think Jason too. We got them yelling "hey batta batta" and all that ish you yell in little league.
If you've ever heard Jason Ellis on Satellite Radio you can get the idea of sitting behind it for a whole game. He was yelling "YOU SUCK!!!" in that loud booming voice.

The reason I know it was Colin's first game is because when I went to the bathroom we both walked out at the saem time and he told me "man, this is fun, this is my first time going to a baseball game ever."

The owner of Vans would stand up every time one of the concession walkers came by, and look back asking "who needs what?" and point around, we'd raise our hands, he'd pay the guy, and the guy would come by and drop our beer, hot dogs, cotton candy, wahtever... we just had to tip the guy a $1 or two.

We were also taking turns walking down to the field seats that Vans had. You know, the ones right on the field with four seats behind a 3 foot wall at field level?
I walked down with my camera and sat in the box for about 10 minutes with Kris Markovich, Dave Duncan, and Steve Caballero. I asked if I could get their pics, they hugged and I took a pic, then Duncan says "lemme get one of you guys."
So, I have a pic soemwhere of Kris, Steve, and Myself. I'll keep digging for that one.
Right before I left I asked Cab if he could sign mai ticket stub, he said "sure" and then also gave me a fingerboard keychain. I still have those in a cedar box.

Ray and I got super drunk, because Randy drove his conversion van up there, so there was plenty of time to get sobes from Milwaukee, WI. to Woodstock, IL.

Wow, storyfest. Could you follow?
Anyway, here's one sequence I got of a skater that I don't know. I do know that in the last shot is Sean Sheffey setting up for a trick. I got this Camera on June 3rd, 1999 so I didn't know how to use it fully, plus I bought tele-photo lens thinking I would be further away. The cammy and tele wanted to auto-focus between each shot, so soem of them are 3fps... I was luck to get 4fps on soem.
Now, remember this was all film so I took 10 rolls and maybe got 4 rolls worth of good shots.

If you have any clue as to who this skater might be, please let me know.

As of the end of this post I am currently listening to "Cause of Sexual Thought" by Bill Hicks from the album "Flying Saucer Tour" recorded on June 20th, 1991 and released on November 12th, 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Views Since 2nd Quarter 2009

Δ▼Δ

☻ mammy ☺ mommy