Saturday, April 16, 2011

Today's Time Capsule, Suicidal Tendencies...


So, I grew up skating in the 80's (started in 1985) and I remember getting this album [Join the Army] when it came out in 1987. I would listen to it on the bus on mai walkman, staring at the cover art getting lost in its complexity, memorizing every word, riff, hook, and solo. Getting psyched to get home, grab mai board, go thrash the streets, and grind everything in sight with mai Stage V Indy 169's and Powell/Peralta Cross Bones. (mine were Blue & 95a)
Sure, I was listening to other punk & skate rock bands or albums at the time like Dead Kennedys, Agent Orange, Circle Jerks, Gang Green, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Exploited, and Dinosaur (jr), but none of them sang or had a song about actually skating. Nothing spoke to me like that song.
To me, this is waht skating is all about, just the vibe of the video makes me feel 13 again, skating junk and having the time of your life. Throw your friends in the mix and it's instant mayhem.

The mix of this track might be different than the "Join the Army" version, it may be the single version. I dunno, I'd have to go play the 12" to find out. I own the single on vinyl, so I haven't played it in years. It had the track "Human Guniea Pig" on it.
The sleeve says it's previously unreleased, but I think they've since released it. (obviously)
I forgot mai cammy in the city at a friends house or else I'd take a pic of the single also. Maybe when I get it back I'll do a pic update on this for y'all. Cool?
Cool...
Oh Yeah, BTW I just realized that Timothy Leary plays the Dad in this video. I can find all sorts of info saying that he played the part, but no info on how it came to be.
Did he like the band? Did the band do lots of Acid? Was it his house they filmed in? Or was it the fact that he was so hip and down with underground counter culture that he could identify with the skate lifestyle, that he may have Dropped In, Turned On, and Tuned Out?

As of the end of this post I am currently listening to "My Melody" by Eric B. and Rakim from the album "Paid In Full" released in 1987.
"ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-check out my melody"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Views Since 2nd Quarter 2009

Δ▼Δ

☻ mammy ☺ mommy