Monday, May 9, 2011

Shawn Martin...

So, when I first saw this pic when I got the magazine back in 1990 when I was 16, waht a great present, it blew mai mind away. The composition is perfect. Crisp, vivid colors, the detail, the height, and basically just street gnar left me wanting moar and to move to SF.
I had just spent the Summer of 1989 there [Martinez/Benicia/Concord/Walnut Creek] for 3 weeks (8 months prior) and this pic made me wanna go back soooo bad.

I've seen other pics of tricks on this curb, but none quite left me staring at them. The skater is Shawn Martin, and this pic KNDA captures real city street skating in 1990. No fancy clothes, ratty shoes, ripped dirty pants, all core.
Also, notice he's skating a Jeff Grosso deck, look at that huge long flat tail with the a pre-Black Label sticker back when it was still Lucero, the Spitfire stickers back in their infancy, a Cellblock III riser pad, and, of course Indy's.
Can you say 'teen emulation' anyone?

Transworld Skateboarding Magazine – Volume 8 / Number 4 / April 1990
The "Gutter Vomit: Street Symposium" issue.

As of the end of this post I am currently listening to "Rituál" by Master's Hammer from the album "Rituál" released in 1991 on Monitor Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Views Since 2nd Quarter 2009

Δ▼Δ

☻ mammy ☺ mommy