Thursday, May 13, 2010

Skatebot...


So, in the year 2007 mai friend & skate pal Lou Shields had an Art gallery/living space in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood called EXP Gallery. He's an art teacher/professor or soem ish like that, and he would host art shows there.
One such show that he would do a couple times a year was skateboard related, he would get all of his skate buds together for a skateboard related show, two such shows had the theme for skateboard art.

I had this old, blank uncut, deck that I had cut out and shaped after an old Todd Conngelliere deck, but the wheel base on the blank was shorter than the Todd so it just never worked well for skating. (the link under the name todd congelliere is a picture of a custom cut of the original deck I had got done by Factory 13 skateboards)

I had drawn this lil robot thing on the bottom and it sat in mai closet for prolly 3 years, once I got word of the art show I decided to pull it out and do soemthing with it, to give it life outside of stack of old deck art.
Taking apart an old Walkman, I used its parts for body parts. The spools were to become the chest plate, and the plate that covered that I used as the mask for the robot, it worked out perfectly that the holes on the plate matched perfectly to the eyes I gave the robot years earlier.
Most of the rest of the body was from an old cable box that was in the garbage that week, having used the buttons of the front control panel as the robot's joints and vertebrae, soem sort of part for the hips, and soem connectors for his axles.
An old set of headphones work nicely as accessories to the star things I had painted on, and a speaker from I forget waht as the Moon/Sun above. The actual piece of cable is to be his main power supply, if he were to be real.

All of this was mounted to the board and held together with Shoe Goo® for added flair to the whole skate theme.
I was/am very proud of waht I had made, the whole time making this pice I had to get in soem sort of mindset, or frame of mind (the same thing?), so I was listening to a group called Secret Side, I jhad gotten all of their tracks from a site called Beat Biz, which you have prolly seen mentioned on this blog before. If not, you can always click on the label for Beat Biz on the left hand side of this blog.
I hope you enjoy looking at this as much as I enjoyed making it.

As of the end of this post I am currently listening to "Then She Did..." by Jane's Addiction from the album "Ritual de lo Habitual" released on August 21, 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Views Since 2nd Quarter 2009

Δ▼Δ

☻ mammy ☺ mommy